Not So Martha


Darn.  I really was hoping this would be a success story.  This is my "door turned into desk" turned into disaster project.  Here it is in my garage, where it was born and where it will die.
I bought the brown stained door at the Restore, legs at Ikea and I have a little faux wood file cabinet with a few other drawers that was supposed to go in the center of the desk, or door whatever you want to call it.
I was planning to paint the legs and the cabinet a color yet to be decided but before I put all that effort into the project I wanted to make sure the legs worked, which they don't so I'm really happy about my choice.
Anyone see the problem?
Look closely.
There are screws on the ground by that left front leg.
My cousin Mike alluded to this as a problem, but I missed it.  Hollow door.
Screws don't really stick all that well in a hollow door.
I could have used this exact door if I were just setting it nicely on shelves and cabinets but I cannot use it with screwed in legs.
Fail.
Possibilites for project regrouping:
1. Go back to Restore and get a door that is not so hollow. A solid door will be heavier, will these legs support a big hefty door?  The table legs say "max load 55lbs".  I interpreted that to mean per leg but now I'm not so sure.
2. Ditch the legs and get the sawhorse kind that allow this door to just sit on it.  I'm not sure I can return these legs so that might put me out the $40 I already spent plus new legs.
3. Buy a desk and leave this DIY stuff to more skilled people.

Comments

What about two-drawer filing cabinets on either end to support the door? It could just sit on them that way. Or build a frame for the legs to screw into, and set the door on the frame?
Don't give up! I will be there soon!

Popular Posts