Fascinate

To command the interest of; to transfix or hold spellbound.
What am I fascinated by?  I have a hard time trying to answer that for myself.  I doubt an easy answer would come if someone asked my friends or family what I was fascinated by and I honestly couldn't answer this about most of my friends either.
Fascinate.  Such a dramatic word.  Not like "interested in" or "proficient at".  This word holds a meaning that goes deeper.  Transfixed and spellbound.  
My friend's brother was killed in an accident a few weeks ago.  The circumstances of the accident are under investigation and recently charges were dropped against the driver to caused the accident.  The local paper published an article about the accident, the dropped charges, and about my friend's brother.
The article describes him as such "He had a fascination with God, family and the sun".
As I read this passage, I paused.  Perhaps the writer was just producing a good article, but I assume that this man's life, speech and actions reflected the things that commanded his interest enough that after his death the most concise way to sum up his character was to say 'he had a fascination with God".
I never had the opportunity to meet this man, but I want his passion.  I want the one sentence summary of my life to reveal what I was fascinated by and I do hope that by the time my life is over those who knew me would be able to say that I too was fascinated by God and family.

Comments

Popular Posts