Defending Carols

Saturday night the boys were eating dinner with friends when Eli broke out into a Christmas song.
One of his friends said "you can't sing Christmas songs, it is the night before Easter."
To which Eli replied "yes you can. You can't have Easter without Christmas so you can sing Christmas songs at Easter."
This confused the friend, so he explained further "if Jesus wasn't born at Christmas then he couldn't die and raise from the dead at Easter, really it is all part of the same thing."
So proud I was of my young lad's defense of Christmas songs and spot on explanation of the meaning of Christmas and Easter, until Gabe chimed in "yeah but Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer has nothing to do with Jesus."
Also a valid point. Eli agreed and started singing "Go Tell it on the Mountain".

You can't have Easter without Christmas and Christmas doesn't mean much if you don't have Easter. Christ's birth would mean nothing if he didn't die, rise again, and save us from our sins. In a way, Christmas is the beginning of the story and Easter is the end. Why do I put so much emphasis on the birth of our Savior but spend much less time pondering his death and resurrection? Easter seems to be an afterthought not a season, like Christmas.

I feel compelled to change this in our home. Just what that will look like, I don't know. But I do know that the death and resurrection of Christ needs a little more spotlight here.

Comments

mrscotis said…
Wow! Very proud of Eli!!
Rachael said…
beautiful. And I totally agree about putting more emphasis on Easter- I love Easter! What is better than the Risen Lord amidst a celebration of Spring and new life?!! Let me know if you come up with any good ideas!

Popular Posts