Rain, Sleet, Snow....

So we live in a new neighborhood, not just new to us new but altogether entirely new.  We are the 4th family to move in to this neighborhood. There are about 3 other completed houses that are either sold or  for sale and the rest are all under construction or waiting to be built.
There are some benefits to moving in to a new construction community: balloons to mark the entrance to the neighborhood, the constant sound of music, sawing and hammering during the week, random people looking into your house and parking in your driveway, the sound of trucks barreling past my house at 0600, and lots of dust in the air.  (The parking thing is weird, whether someone lives here or not, why does it seem like a good idea to just park all catawampus across the front of my driveway?)
My very favorite benefit to the new community is that we are completely hidden and non-existant to everyone else in the world, to include my mailman.
Every single person who was supposed to come to our house for a delivery or installation required detailed instructions by us over the phone or they end up somewhere else in Olympia and call for help to find us.  I expect this from regular delivery folks, but silly me, I thought the post office might actually know about this place.  In fact there is a big shiny silver mail box system holding 65 mailboxes for everyone in the neighborhood right on the corner of the main street and ours.  Often someone who appears to be a mailman puts...mail in the big shiny mailbox.
However, some group of people back at the post office cannot figure out how to get packages, and who knows what other forms of mail, from the post office to my mailman to put in my shiny box.  I've had 3 packages arrive in Olympia, hang out for a few days and then be deemed "not deliverable - incorrect address".  These packages then get sent back to the shipper and I am sitting here without my goods. The items are credited back to my account and the whole incident is forgotten.  By everyone except me!
So far the items that have been on a little tour of the Olympia post offices have come from big companies who absorb the cost of the non-deliverable item, but those $12 shipping cost or more, is a little more significant if any of my friends or family try to send something to me and it gets returned.
The address is correct people!  Deliver my stuff.
So, I had a little pow wow withe a supervisor at the post office who assured me he would solve the problem.  However, one week later another package is enjoying a round-trip vacation thanks to the USPS.  I phoned a friend, dad, and asked for advice.  He gave me the run-down on the inner workings of the USPS and handed out a free tip as to try and get the problem solved.
So, I'm a little cranky right now with my new 'hood problems.  I can handle all the building and home shopping and random bursts visitors asking me how I like my new house, but this mail situation is on my last nerve.
They may deliver is rain, sleet, and snow but they sure  as heck can't deliver to the new neighborhood!


Comments

Popular Posts