What a Wonderful World

Did you know yesterday was "Thanksgiving in June"? You know, similar to "Christmas in July". Maybe it wasn't a nationally recognized celebration but my two girlfriends, the kids, and I had our own little Thanksgiving feast at my house yesterday evening.
Sure, some people were having BBQ's and playing at the pool, but we were roasting a turkey, baking cookies, and making all those fabulous side dishes.
You see, there comes a time in life when you just simply have to clean out your freezer, pantry and fridge. It so happens that Rachael had a spare turkey in her freezer. After a quick review of my pantry I realized I had all (and I do mean all) the ingredients for stuffing, box'o mashed potatoes, Sara's famous holiday corn, Grandma's yummy wine cake, and sugar cookies with frosting. With the purchase of just one more ingredient I also had the stuff for green bean casserole. What do you do when you have ALL this stuff in your pantry and you are preparing for an international move? You celebrate Thanksgiving in June.
So we did.
We are thankful. We are thankful that for this season, we were able to do life together. Although, there are still so many unknowns, and so many challenges to get through in the next few weeks, we are thankful for the precious time that God gave us.
As Rachael and I were saying 'goodbye' on the curb our friend Samantha's daughter came out and started dancing and singing on the porch. For the first song, it was back ground noise, but after we applauded her performance, we focused on her, waiting for her next song choice. In the sweetest, tinyest, very high little voice (very Cindy Lou Who) she began to sing v e r y s l o w l y
"I see leaves of green ....red roses too
I see em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world"

(Tears started to roll down my face)

"I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world".

(Tears steadily flowing, big knot in my throat, embracing Rachael)

What a pefect ending to the day.

Comments

Popular Posts