Don't Watch

When I get my blood drawn I don't watch. I have to look away.
I've had regular blood tests for the past 10 years now. Every 4-6 months I go to the lab, sit down in the chair, watch the phlebotomist tap at my arm, and as soon as she tries to cut off my arm with that rubber tourniquet - I look away. You would think after years of regular bloodwork and two pregnancies I would be used to this minor procedure, but no. I can't watch.
Today, I'm not giving my life source to a blood sucker, but I am sitting in my house, listening to the crinkling of paper, ripping of tape, and quiet grunts made by the packers. I can't watch. It is too painful.
I've watched 4 moves. Each time I roam through the house checking up on the movers, seeing how they are packing my treasures, and making sure the things that need to go are packed. Sometimes I get nervous about the about the way they are packing, but in all those moves I've only had 8 or 9 items broken, so I really don't have reason to worry. However, right now I am!
5 guys showed up to pack today.
Ray is the leader of this crew, he has been packing and moving for 20 years. I trust him.
Guy 1 is also a veteran packer. He knows what is going on I like the way he is packing.
Guys 2-4 are rookies. This is bad. Very bad.
Since Ray is a smart guy, he sent Rookie 1 to the boys' playroom (nothing too breakable there), Rookie 2 to our closet (clothes, linens nothing breakable), and Rookie 3 is under the watchful eye of Guy 1 near the kitchen. Rookie 3 is making me a little nervous. I see him in my peripheral even now. I witnessed him pack my dvd player and tuner stacked on top and neither item was wrapped in paper. Tragedy.
Wait, is it really a tragedy? They are metal objects, they aren't going to break. In fact they were stacked on top of each other in the entertainment shelf. But I know Ray and any of my other packers would have wrapped those guys up. Panic is setting in.
Uh oh. Rookie 3 just realized that he packed the box upside down. And when Guy 1 came over he felt how heavy the box was and was taken aback. Ray piped in and told Rookie 3 he better "initial that box". These means Ray must be worried about how Rookie 3 packed it. I can't watch.
Rookie 2 just called downstairs asking Guy 1 for help. Ray just realized that Rookie 3 isn't writing what is in the boxes.
I can't watch. I can't watch.
Is there a phlebotomist in the house? I'd rather give blood right now.
"Dear God,
I know these are just material things but please calm my heart and protect my stuff".
I'm off to check on Rookies 2-3

Comments

Popular Posts