Cash Pig

Someone bought me an adorable piggy bank for Eli when he was born. It was ceramic, bone colored with blue and green spots. It matched his room perfectly. As soon as I got it I started putting it to use. Any time I found change laying around the house or when my wallet would get too full of change, I would put it in his bank.
When he was about 18 months old he found this cute bank, picked it up, and brought it into my room to "show" me. He made it the 15 steps from his room to mine, then dropped it very close to my foot. I had little shrapnel wounds on my foot, and a pile of coins to clean up. I put all of the coins in a ziplock bag, because I didn't have a spare piggy bank laying around, and that is where the coins stayed for another year or so.
Shortly after Gabriel was born I started looking for new banks. Ceramic was out, due to the demise of the last piggy, so I found two clear plastic little guys at Walmart for $1 each.
Over the past 5 years I have filled the two banks with all the coins I find. Sometimes I roll up bills and slide them in too, but for the most part spare change is what feeds these little piggies.
Thursday I decided it was time to cash them in. The movers won't pack them so I either need to cash them out or hide them in a tote so the movers don't know they are packing money. Since the piggies were almost full anyway, I opted for dumping out those pigs, counting all the coins, rolling them, and taking them to the bank.
It took me a few hours to accomplish the task but in the end we cashed in $111 in coins from Eli's bank and $81 from Gabe's. Not bad for spare change.

Comments

Popular Posts