What do you stand for?

I was raised in church. As long as I can remember, I went to church. And every church that I have ever been to has had at least one thing in common: when it is time to sing songs, the worship leader asks the audience to "stand". Everyone stands. Sure, there are some that sit down after a few songs or choose not to stand at all, but for the most part everyone stands for worship and then sits down for the message.
The church we attend in Heidelberg is different. We are asked to stand for prayer but rarely, if ever, asked to stand to sing. Some people choose to stand during some songs, others stand the whole time and still others sit the entire time. It is very much a "choose-your-own-adventure" approach to worship.
I'm a little uncomfortable with the situation. I am so used to standing to worship that my body just naturally wants to stand when the music starts to play, however, I'm also afraid that if the people sitting behind me aren't standing they will be forced to view my butt for 30 minutes. I give in to peer pressure. If those around me are sitting, I sit, if they stand, I stand.
Today, something happened that moved me, not just out of my seat but in my heart. A handicapped lady was in a wheelchair at the end of the aisle across from me. After the first verse of the first song she pulled herself out of the chair and with one hand she struggled to hold her broken body up, and with the other she lifted in praise. She didn't last long. She stood until her body was no longer willing to hold her, and then she collapsed back in her chair. Numerous times throughout worship she would hoist herself up and sing as long as she could and then return to her chair. There is no requirement for her to stand, but she wanted to and she pushed aside her physical limitations to worship God in a way that she felt compelled to do.
I don't think you have to stand to worship God, but I want to, and yet I let a little thing like the people around me keep me from doing it. She doesn't let a physical disability stop her what is my excuse?
How many times do I not do something I feel like I should do because it is a little uncomfortable? How many times was is easier, more comfortable for me to stay seated instead of taking a stand? More than I want to admit to, more than I want to count.


Comments

Rachael said…
thanks for sharing friend- very encouraging.

Popular Posts