Today was one of those days when I was so happy that I work where I do.
A few of my students WILLINGLY worked with me to accomplish some great things and one even came and found me ASKING for my help.

I scribed for a student while he dictated a story for his autobiography to me.  The topic of his story was choosing moment in his life to return to.  The moment he chose was a day in Kindergarten.  The reason he wanted to return was not so he could play with modeling clay or draw, but so he could go back and give his 5 year old self a message.  He said he would take the book that the Kindergartener was pretending to read and hit him over the head with it.  Then he would tell his 5 year old self "stop pretending to read that book and go ask someone to teach you to read".  I asked him why he wanted to go back and give his younger self this message.  His answer melted my heart and reminded me of why I do what I do.  He said he wished he would have learned how to read in Kindergarten so that reading wouldn't be something that he struggles with so much now.  Of all the moments to return to, this is what he wanted most.

Another student pulled out the charger for his Surface and noticed there was some foreign substance attached to the end that plugs in to his computer.  He looked at it, smelled it and then suggested it was dirt.  Not to let the moment pass without thoroughly investing, he pulled a chunk off and put it in his mouth.  "Yep it tastes like dirt".  I was sitting there laughing when I was interrupted by his new revelation.  "Actually, it tastes metallic, and my charger is a magnet...I think it is metal shavings".  Once the taste test established the gunk on the charger we were able to move on and get to work.

Just before lunch I was working with a student who is reading an extremely wackadoo "book" by a so-called libertarian.  I would call it a 100 page rant rather than a book, but whatever. I'll spare you the details of the conversation but the epic moment in the discussion was when she told me, and I am quoting here "murder is against the law.  It is in our Constitution.  It says thou shalt not murder."
I was contemplating bringing up the other articles of the "Constitution" like "honor your father and mother" and "thou shalt not covet" but I was struggling to contain my giggles as it were, so I let it ride.  It might have been the best moment of my day.

Comments

Popular Posts