I've lived in 11 houses in my adult life.
That is nothing compared to many military families or people running from the law.

By the time I moved out of house 9, I had compiled a list of the things I hated about previous homes:

1. Washer and Dryer IN the kitchen next to the fridge.  So weird.
2. Shower so small that if I bent over to pick up something I dropped or attempted to shave my legs my butt would push open the shower door and hang out.
3. No garage.  Where do you store your crap without a garage???
4. One bathroom.
5. Houses that flood when it rains too hard.
6. Houses with frogs and/or cockroaches
7. Not having a guest room
8. Kitchens cut off from the family room
9. Tile

I also compiled things I loved:

1. Mud room/laundry room leading from the garage to the house.
2. A basement for stuff - as long as it doesn't flood.
3. Pull down ladder access to attic storage
4. Giant windows
5. A master closet the size of a bedroom
6. A pooping room in the master bath.

When we left Germany and started our house hunting in Washington I knew exactly what I wanted and what I didn't want.
We found our house on the second day of searching.
It had almost everything I wanted in a home.  It had plenty of room, perfect open spaces with a nice flow, it had a lot of big closets providing space for storage, really nice interior finishing...the master shower was smaller than we wanted and the laundry room was more of a closet but the house was nearly perfect.

It is a beautiful home.
I cried when I walked through the house the last time before giving the keys to the renters.
I will probably cry when we sell it this summer.

It's just a house.  But it was THE house.  It was the house I dreamed I would own.  It is a house that could host a dozen overnight guests (that isn't a made up number - it actually happened) and not actually feel like 16 people were sleeping and mingling there.  It was a house that provided space to spread out when it was just the four of us.  It was a space that was comfortable, and clean.  I love a brand new house...so clean.
It was a carrot on a stick house.
We made all those other houses work and when our time finally came, we got my dream house.

And then... we left.
I miss the house.  I love that house.
While some of those things about the house are not as important anymore, as I look at houses for sale in this area I find myself falling in love with houses that are basically that house in this town!

I'm slowly detaching myself from the idea of my dream house.
Part of me feels like I checked the dreamy house box and I'm ready to move on.
Another part says I'm not willing to wrap up all the money in a nice house, and I am content with the pistachio castle.

The house will hit the market about a month from now.  Anyone interested???






Comments

Popular Posts