Hiking Update

Back in October I headed out on my first solo hike adventure.
I am proud of myself for sticking to this hiking thing.  I have completed 24 different hikes in 27 weeks.
My original goal was to hike 60 different hikes by my next birthday.  I wanted to hike a different trail each week, initially,  because I wanted to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone, later my quest for new trails is more about discovering new places.  Just a few months into this journey and I have already been amazed at the journeys I've completed.  I discovered three different natural areas each with miles of trail systems right outside the city, within 20 miles of my house.  I've climbed to higher heights and trudged through acres and acres of forests that I didn't know existed.
There are so many beautiful places to explore, and I'm not even halfway through the year!
I've hiked alone many times since that first hike, but I've also had the pleasure of being joined by my family every once in a while and sometimes friends.  I have hiked in the rain, in the snow, in mud, and in freezing temperatures.  I've been temporarily lost at least a dozen times.... and that is just this week!  I hiked with my sister on the phone, with an "aggressive owl" flying overhead, I've had to pull myself up an icy hill by using  surrounding plants and trees, and prayed I'd stay on the path going down icy trails.  I've unexpectedly come across a random fireplace in the forest, hidden water falls,  and magical views. 
It has been such a fun adventure trying to find new places to log miles and explore this beautiful area.

The mountains are calling and I must go!

Comments

Popular Posts