Today was Eli's birthday.
He received gifts from 4 people.
The gifts included money, an Arizona hoodie and a book about the mind game of baseball.
Shortly after he opened his last gift someone called to wish him a happy birthday and asked what he wanted.
His reply "I don't really want anything, I have everything".

I was conflicted.
Part of me was screaming "what? Ask for money toward a new phone or phone case or bat or something!"
But the other, wiser part of me was so proud.
He wants for nothing.

Later I asked why he declined an offer to send him money towards his new phone, he told me he wouldn't feel right accepting money toward a specific thing and then spending it on something else. He thinks he has enough money saved up for the phone and doesn't want to accept anymore "phone" money for fear he wouldn't need it.

It was a good day. Perhaps we are doing something right with this kid. Or more likely this kid is turning out ok in spite of all the things we do wrong.


Comments

Popular Posts