Dropping the Ball

Today was a late start.
Every Wednesday is a late start which is awesome, for the most part.
That means two days of school then sleep in, two days of school then the weekend.

The only problem is I run around all morning feeling like I'm late for something.  It feels so odd to leave the house for school at 9:30 or 10.

I was working today at 10:30, so I planned to leave the house at 10.  I told Gabe that his bus comes at 10:10, so I would just drop him off at the bus stop.
We arrived right at 10 and nobody was there.  I said "ooh lucky you, you are the first one today!!"

Off I go to work.  I was really early, so I sat in the parking lot reading my emails and such.  I got a call from Gabe.  ALARMS starting going off in my head.  Wait a minute.  Gabe doesn't carry a cell phone with him, it stays at home.  How is he calling me??

Game's voice is cracking and he said that the bus didn't come.  I said "why didn't you wait for it?"  He said that he did but it never came and no other kids ever came, he missed the bus.  Then he said "my first class is at 10:10, the bus wasn't late."

Oh dear.
At this point I have an 11 year old boy at home, late for school.
I am at the high school and have 15 minutes until I am supposed to meet my student there.
Dilema.

I tell Gabe to wait at the house and I'll figure out what to do.
I call Matt, no answer.
I text Matt and tell him what happened and asked what I should do.
Be late to work and go get Gabe, or leave Gabe at home.
Matt saves the day by driving in from Seattle and taking Gabe to school.
He missed both his first and second period classes.

Best mom of the year goes to.....
Not me!!

Comments

Popular Posts