Today I told my student that a permanent person was hired.
He was happy until he found out the new person was a woman, then he was angry.
When she arrived I asked the student if he was ready to meet her, he said "NO"!
I pushed a little and then let it go.
I explained that he really wanted a man as his aid and encouraged her not to take it personally.
The new aid respectfully kept her distance as we finished that class and moved on to the next.
When we arrived at the elevator the student saw her enter and made a very dramatic effort to turn his walker around and huff quite loudly.
We dropped him off with the physical therapist and headed to an office to chat about the student. Unfortunately, we were following behind the student and he was unleashing the fury about how he was mad about this stupid school that couldn't get him what he wanted.
The new aid is a Grad student, studying to be a school counselor. This job will be great for her! And probably really great for the student as well.
At lunch the student continued to ignore the aid.
So it is safe to say he gave her a little dose of the not so pleasant side of himself.

As we approached the elevator I said "I'll let your new aid take you up today".
He said "no" and I said "remember you don't want me in the elevator with you, I'll take the stairs".
He absolutely knew what I was pulling, turning his words against against himself to make him welcome the new aid.
His response: "good you can use the exercise".
This kid.....

Last class of the day, my last hour with this kiddo, I asked him if he needed anything and he said "can you please write 'experiment' for me I don't know how to spell it.
How twisted is it that I had a warm fuzzy over that?
He asked me so nicely.
In my mind he said "thank you for everything, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors".

As I loaded him on the bus I told him I'll probably see him again when I sub at the school".
He said "I hope not".
I held his gaze for a brief moment and told him "well I do because I feel so blessed to have the chance to know you".

A little part of me was sad as I walked away.
Part was relieved.

As I think back over this experience, the highs are in those moments that I was able to help other students with their classwork, when my student allowed me to help him, and when teachers showed their appreciation for my work.
The lows...well no sense in hanging out there.

If I could tell my student my heart today, it would be this:

You were mean and hurt my feelings, I think I know why.  It doesn't make your words or actions less hurtful, but it allows me to offer you some grace. I know you are angry that you left you left your old school and friends and you are probably angry that your body is failing you and holding you back. My prayer for you is that you find hope and joy in the One who gives it freely and that you allow the walls to collapse around you and let people in.  So I will pray that your year gets better, that you like your new aid and that you find some joy in this place.  And you better believe that I WILL say hi to you when I sub at this school again, and you better say hi back!



Comments

Popular Posts