What's Sub?

My job for the past two day was to give positive verbal encouragement to a disobedient, super active, highly disruptive, little kindergartener.

The super smart people who know how to hand such little boys decided that they would create a 2ft square that this little guy would have to be in during carpet time.  He could lay, sit, roll, whatever he wanted as long as he was in the square.

I was supposed to sit next to him and tell him how awesome he was while sitting in the square.

The square was created by putting tape down on the carpet.

That lasted about 3 minutes.
At one point during the tape on the carpet debacle, the kiddo had the tape wrapped around his head, around his finger, over his mouth, over his eyes, around his neck, in his hair, and on his shirt.
After each carpet time session I would replace the tape and prepare for what creation he would come up with next.

It was bordering on ridiculous and despite my desire to ditch the tape and offer some other less entertaining boundary marker, the teacher insisted we were going with the tape.

The teacher had ridiculous expectations for beginning of the year kindergartners, she was boring, slow to move from activity to activity, and didn't actually teach anything at all in the entire two days i I was there.  There were points that I wanted some tape to see what I could do to entertain myself.

I was trying to explain to a student that he needed to raise his hand quietly and when he was quiet and raising his hand the teacher would answer his question.  He said to me "no she won't, she will never call on me".  He was totally right.  Even though I was giving her the eyes while complimenting the student on how patient he was being for soooooo looooong waiting for her  to answer his question she never called on him or anyone else who ever raised their hands.

Unfortunately for me and the little boy the teacher decided that a carpet with squares on it would be more effective than the tape on day two.  So we didn't have any tape to play with, instead the student showed off his unbelievable flexibility.  He could absolutely be a yoga master.  To have his feet behind his head while laying flat on his back in the middle of the square...quite impressive.

I'm keeping a log of the different teachers, schools and jobs that I am working so I can jog my memory if needed when approached with an opportunity to return to a position.
The notes on this job read "poor kids this teacher is horrible, tape box is crap".

In other news, as I was passing by a kid eating lunch, there was a note from his mom sitting on top of his lunchbox.  Naturally, I was nosey and read it.  It said "please wash your hands, love mom".

Sorry mom, but in my expert opinion, I can confidently say he didn't wash his hands.

Comments

Allison said…
Wow!! Can't wait to read this coming weeks' horror stories. Hope you get a permanent position quickly that is utterly different.

Popular Posts