Lost Cause

Today I was a sub at Eli's school.
Finally, adios preschool diaper changes and Kindergarten tape origami.  This week I'm walking the halls of two different high schools.

As agreed upon in advance, when I saw Eli at lunch I looked away and pretended I didn't see him or know him.
Sigh...

I was working with a student with some physical disabilities.  He has some vision impairment, walking, and fine motor skills are challenging as well.  I pretty much just carried his backpack around, opened doors, pulled items out of his bag as needed and took notes for him.

In addition to his physical disabilities, (wait can I say disability?) let's just say he has some academic struggles as well.  I walked in to his Sophomore "Intro to Algebra 2" class a little nervous about my ability to recall my Algebra II skills.  But quickly I realized the class was actually "Into to Algebra" 2 as in there are two levels of an introduction to Algebra.  Whew!  Saved.

As I followed him through his day I realized that nearly all of his classes served a population of students that were also academically low.  There are two things that can gain a student entrance in to these types of classes, some type of learning struggles or behavior issues.  Unfortunately, those two very different types of students are grouped together into one classroom environment.  So you have kids who just need to be taught at a slower pace with extra help mixed in with kids that are huge behavior issues and suck the time away that the teacher has to attempt to teach or help the ones interested.

I worked in these types of classes last week at Gabe's school (he ran up to me to give me a hug and introduce me to his friends... and I quote "guys that is MY MOM") in addition to the classes today at Eli's.  One thing I noticed right away at both schools is that many of the teachers of these classes are giving the students a ridiculous amount of freedom with their phones and time to talk with their friends.

The kids see this as a good thing.  It is right?  Freedoms to play games on their phone, interrupt the class, talk with friends and listen to music.  Sounds great.  The kids like these classes and these teachers.
What they don't get is that these teachers aren't being cool, they are writing the students off as a lost cause.  They no longer care, or are willing to take the effort it requires to lay down some laws and stick to them.  I'm not suggesting it is easy, but I am suggesting that simply allowing these students to sit in class all day on their phones is telling them that their education doesn't matter to the teacher.

The freedoms may very well end up being their captivity.

As they get older and they attempt to make it in life and they can't fill out an application, do simple addition, or know basic life skills strategies, they will be slaves to whatever the government is handing out.

To be given up on is perhaps one of the most hurtful things that can happen in a relationship.  These kids don't even realize it is happening.

Comments

Popular Posts