Strassenbahn

Yesterday at the Strassenbahn the boys and I were waiting for our train to post when a lady walked up to me and asked me in German something like "Is this the train to Mannheim". I'm assuming that is what she said because I heard "Mannheim".
I apologized that I didn't speak German sent her down the line to ask someone else. I don't know why I didn't answer her. I knew this was the train to Mannheim, but I was afraid she would ask more questions and I wouldn't be able to answer or maybe she was actually asking me something else entirely about Mannheim.
Anyway, I was sorry that I couldn't help her but at the same time I felt really good. I look like I belong here! I was so worried I would stand out and scream "I"m an American" based on the way I dress or act, but of all the people waiting for the Strass, she picked me.
This afternoon I was riding the Strass on my own, the boys and Matt had gone on ahead while I registered Eli for school on post. I only have to go one stop to get from post to our hotel and the entire trip takes about 5 minutes. Everything was humming along just fine, we were approaching the Vivoli stop when suddenly the brakes on the Strass started to grab and our smooth ride was coming to a very quick and bumpy stop. Everyone that was standing fell, a cell phone nearly took out my eye, and when the train finally came to a full and complete stop the driver was yelling at us.
Panic hit me. What was happening? Why is the driver yelling at us? Did someone in the back pull an emergency brake of some type? Why didn't I study German more so I could understand what was happening?
After 30 seconds or so of confusion and retrieval of personal belongings on the train, we noticed a group of 6 or 7 people crossing the tracks. I'm not sure if they ignored the "no crossing" signs or if the signs didn't work, but short of an actual translation of the chatter in German, we almost hit that flock of people. After they cleared the tracks, the driver moved forward to our intended stop.
I think all that yelling from the driver was her asking if anyone was hurt. At one point I heard someone in the back call up to her and say "nein". I know nein means "no" because I watched a movie where the guy told his lady friend "nine" for the alarm clock but she thought he meant "nein" as in "I don't want an alarm clock".
Anyway, we all survived but the people on the platform waiting to board had a look of horror on their face, people getting off were getting their land legs back and chattering about the incident, and I was just thankful that little Strasse adventure ended the way it did.

Comments

Popular Posts