Balloon Fest

I found an ad in the newspaper a few days ago with pictures of hot air balloons and the word "fest" so I decided to look it up. Naturally, the website was in German, but I have mastered Google Translate and after a few clicks of the mouse I was reading about this little festival in Ladenberg (not far from here) that involved a hot air balloon race.
I was so excited because I have always wanted to see a hot air balloon race! We headed off to this adorable little town. It was so cute and really empty. I felt like I was walking around on a movie set. We made our way down to the field and watched as 20 or so vehicles pulled in with trailers toting their balloon. We watched them lay out the balloons and get everything ready for the launch.
I honestly don't get the "race" aspect of it because it wasn't like anyone ever said "eins, zwei, drei, go", but at any rate it was a really great site to see.
Before the big pretend race started we had a chance to walk inside one of the balloons. It was laying on its side and a big super fan was keeping it halfway blown up. It was so huge. I was amazed at just how big this things are and I was also jealous of that fan - I could seriously use that at home.
As the balloons started taking off I initiated a conversation with Matt about how these things fly.
C: So, is it the carbon monoxide let off by the burning fuel that inflates the balloon?
(I was feeling really proud of myself for knowing the word carbon monoxide - however I'm still not actually sure that it was used correctly in a sentence).
M: no, it is the heat. Get it HOT AIR balloon?
C: Oh.
So, I guess the flame shooting up into the balloon heats the air and the hot air rises blah blah blah, wish I would have paid a little more attention during physics.
The kids, Matt and I had a such a great evening at the Balloon Fest. It wasn't like the Weinheim Fest at all. This one was in a quiet field with picnics and such. It was a beautiful night.
In order to ensure that I'm not the only one looking silly in this story, I should mention that on our way back to the car Matt fell off the curb. I realize this has nothing to do with hot air balloons but it was so funny. He didn't face plant or anything but the sound of him falling off the curb was Hilarious and kept me doubled over laughing all the way back to the car. Matt kept insisting that it wasn't that funny but later on that night as I was laying in bed reflecting on the evening the sound of him falling off that curb popped back in my head and I couldn't stop laughing . . . again. I wish I had a little video of that trip.

Comments

Popular Posts