The Bee Sting

Today it was 1000 degrees in our house so I took the boys outside to one of the playgrounds to burn some energy and enjoy the breeze. 1000 degrees is a little cooler when the wind blows.
We headed to the "triangle" playground. There are so many playgrounds here that the boys nick-name them in order to keep track. Today, I chose the playground based on how shady the parental seating area was - triangle won.
As I sat in the shade reading a book, sipping on a Coke Zero (yeah, they sell it at the commissary)and eating sunflower seeds, I could hear the sweet sound of the boys playing together nicely in the background.
The next thing I know I heard Gabe say "ou"
then Eli responded with "Gabe are you OK?"
"Yeah"
There was no crying, screaming or the sound of anything breaking so I figured Gabe tripped or something minor. A moment later Gabe walked up to me calmly and said "that bee stung me".
I couldn't believe it. A bee sting would surely stir up much more excitement. I checked out the alleged sting site, and interrogated Gabe to get the whole scoop.
It looked like a little bee sting all right, and this was Gabe's explanation:
"It WAS a bee. I know it. He was flying right by my ear looking for a good place to sting me".
I was quite amused by Gabe's response to the sting. His calmness surprised me, but more than that I am always intrigued by Gabe's little 4 (nearly 5)year old philosophy. That bee was just flying around looking for the perfect place to sting him. Gabe sees things differently and I like to hear his perspective. I think bees are flying around looking for food, and then accidentally happen upon a human and can't figure out what to do, so they sting. To Gabe, all that hovering and buzzing is just a part of the process of deciding which spot on this little guy would be the best?
The other day we were discussing how the earth is spinning but we don't feel it. Gabe had a big realization. He said "oh so that is why you guys are always upside down when I look at you".
I told you, he sees things differently.

Comments

Popular Posts