Poop Zoomies

Puppies are a lot of work.
I have spent a lot of time over the past 3 months doing laundry, sleeping on the couch, cleaning up fecal matter and listening for the ever familiar sound of my puppy doing something she shouldn't.
She has a very distinct frolic when she has something she isn't supposed to.  This morning she was bounding around the house and from upstairs I noticed the sound of her running and like an alarm going off inside my head I knew I needed to quickly seek out the puppy to find out what she has.  She had my razor.  Don't ask, I don't even know how she managed highjack the razor from the bathroom.

She's feisty, she is exhausting and she is a little adorable.

People say dogs will give you unconditional love, a purpose in life, they will be your companion when nobody else wants to go for a hike, a ride, or watch a show.  People are right, she does all those things for me.  She motivates me to get moving in the morning.  If I don't exercise her, she eats my Afghan rug, or shoes or the recent casualty was a pair of prescription sunglasses.

There are a lot of things that this dog does that I understand.  In some ways she is my spirit animal.  She gets annoyed if someone tries to cuddle her when she wants to sleep, she loves to run free on the beach, she likes to go for walks and she enjoys hopping in the car and going on adventures.  Sometimes she will just go out back to sit in the sun, she likes to eat anything that happens to be sitting on the counter, she is a little nervous in the dark, she really likes nice leather shoes and she often just falls asleep in the middle of playing.

There are other things that I simply don't understand, like why she insists upon eating the rabbit poop in the backyard, her desire to get up early in the morning and the poop zoomies.

Every time she poops she goes into a seemingly uncontrolled freefall around the yard.  She runs down the hill, slides into the gravel at the bottom, slams into the fence and then runs up the hill and starts all over again.  What is this about?  I mean I do appreciate the feeling of relief that often comes with a nice clean-out of the intestinal tract but it never makes me want to run.

What if it did?  What if humans stopped by the loo and then immediately hit the track for a quick sprint session?  Am I missing out on something?  I feel like one of these days I might need to try it and just see what is going on.  Then again, she eats rabbit poop and I'm not feeling the need to replicate that habit.

I guess it isn't really about why or when the zoomies come, but I just want that feeling of having the zoomies.  I think I had human versions of the zoomies when I was young.  Maybe it looked more like giggling until your face hurt, or playing until you simply couldn't continue.  Its that feeling of unrestrained joy or excitement.  I could use a little of that in my day.

Comments

Popular Posts