I've taken Hazel for a walk almost every day for the past two months.  I walk 1-4 miles and try to find different routes to take as I explore our new neighborhood.  There are miles and miles of wooded trails in addition to the sidewalks.  I think its safe to say I've covered over 100 miles so far and haven't even scratched the surface of the neighborhood.
Last night, I took Hazel for a quick walk after dinner.  I wasn't committed to a very lengthy walk so I stayed close to the house but made a turn through a section of houses I haven't gone through before.  What I found completely shocked me.
When we lived in Olympia you couldn't miss Mt. Rainier on a clear day.  We had a very faint peek-a-boo view from our house but as you travelled throughout the city there were so many places along my routes that I would get a glimpse of this gorgeous mountain.
One of the first things I realized I was missing when we moved to Issaquah is those views of the mountain.  Not because the weather was bad but because Issaquah itself is snuggled in some small "mountains" making it very difficult to see Rainier.  As soon as you get out of the Eastside hills and back in to Seattle, you are much more likely to catch a glimpse.
As the pup and I were moving along this new path last night I popped out of the houses to an open field area and boom.... I saw this:


I have walked all over this neighborhood up high in the areas that provide views beyond the roof tops and low in the woods and I had no idea that Mt. Rainier was right there all along.  All it took was for me to take a different route and look up.
Maybe this thing we've been looking for, hoping to see is there all along, we just need to take a different path to get there.

Comments

Popular Posts