About a year ago the song "Raise a Hallelujah" by Bethel Music started playing on the radio.  I heard it, I sang along with it, but it wasn't until very recently that I actually paid close attention to the words.  This is embarrassing because there are only about 50 words in the entire song - not an amount that is really hard to wrap your head around.

The verse is simple:

I raise a hallelujah, in the presence of my enemies
I raise a hallelujah, louder than the unbelief
I raise a hallelujah, my weapon is a melodyI raise a hallelujah, Heaven comes to fight for me



The word hallelujah is borrowed from the Hebrew compound words:
Hallelu - praise someone or something and Yah - Lord.

My understanding of the song is this: praise God when you face your enemies, when you are in a difficult situation, when you are lost, scared or unsure of your next steps.  Let your praise be LOUDER than your unbelief.  This resonates deeply with me.  I do believe the God can make my enemies flee, spare me from pain and sorrow, and protect me from all sorts of things.  But there is a little bit in my heart that wonders "but will he?".  This song is saying make that voice of praise be louder than the whisper of "will he?" And the last part of the verse that I take comfort in, is that my weapon is a melody.  It is that simple song of praise that can defeat both the fear and uncertainty in my own heart and also take out the enemy.

In the live version of this song, buckle up - its about 20 minutes long, the worship leader tells the congregation to raise their own hallelujah, essentially to sing praise over their own lives.  He says this:


"when you sing, enemies flee
when you sing, prison walls come falling down
when you sing, heaven invades the earth"

When I'm having a hard day or going through a difficult time I struggle to remember to be thankful or to go straight to my knees in prayer but I think I can raise a hallelujah.  It may not sound pretty but I can sing louder than my unbelief and I can fight the enemies with a melody!  

Comments

Popular Posts