We purchased a ceiling mounted shelf for our garage a few years ago to wrangle all of our empty boxes.
Empty boxes?  You ask.
Yes.
Empty boxes. There are a handful of items in our home that travels best when encapsulated in its original box.  I have a dozen music boxes that my grandparents bought me, the TV, some helicopters.... things like that.  When you move every three years or so it is handy to keep these original boxes.  The challenge is always where to keep them?  We've kept them in attic storage, basement storage, garage shelves, guest closet, pretty much everywhere.
When we moved back here I noticed a neighbor's ceiling mounted storage shelf and decided this would be a perfect solution to store our boxes.
It worked great.

And fast forward to last night.
We decided that given the limited storage at the new place it would be beneficial to us to bring our ceiling storage shelf with us to the rental.  It makes huge horrible looking holes in the ceiling, but hey its the garage!  Matt and I talked about just bringing it to the new house, using it, and hoping the landlord didn't notice.

So last night the male people in my home went to a movie and I decided I would take that beast down.
It is conveniently mounted 12 feet above the ground and I have a 6 ft ladder.
I pulled out drills but the screws were not coming out.  The heads were stripping and little flakes of metal were flying.
I found some tools and by shear awesomeness I managed to strategically get that thing down.  I was just cleaning everything up and packaging the screws when Matt came home.
I was so proud of myself.
I found tools.
I wore safety glasses.
I moved the ladder 16 times to make sure I wasn't reaching too far and throwing myself off balance.
I unscrewed the bolts 3/4 of the way making my way around the whole thing before coming back around and slowly bringing the shelf down.
I was a rockstar.

Matt's first words when he saw the shelf on the ground was something like "I wish you wouldn't have done that.  What if it doesn't work at the new place?  Now that you took it down it isn't worth anything here or there."

Ballon of pride deflated.
I cleaned up, went in the house and escaped into a book.

Moving is stressful.  I need a 6 month nap.

Comments

Popular Posts