I went to Fort Lewis today to get my new ID Card that indicates I'm the dependent of a RETIREE.
Then I went to the PX.

I rarely ever go to the PX.

As I was walking out I noticed Mt. Rainier in all her majesty rising above the airfield that lay straight ahead.

Suddenly I was back in 1997 when I first walked out of this PX as a newly carded Active Duty Dependent.
Back then there were very few aircraft on that airfield and Matt was more in the business of jumping out of aircraft than he was flying them.
I would have never have guessed that 19 years later I would be tracing the same path, but this time with a retiree ID card and a 13 year old son next to me.

I remembered the newness and slight discomfort as I navigated my way through life as a new Army wife.
And its funny that here I am feeling that same newness and discomfort to what life outside of the Army will be like.





Comments

Popular Posts