I flew down to California this past weekend to celebrate my neices.
Lucky me, Kaia turned 15 and Makenna graduated from High School on the same day!

I jumped on a flight late Thursday night, settled in to my seat, and welcomed the voice of the captain announcing that our flight from Seattle to Sacramento was ready for takeoff.
Suddenly it hit me.
A mere 17 years ago I boarded a flight from Seattle to Sacramento, also to celebrate my niece.
That time, I was flying down to help welcome this sweet baby into the world.
I remember vividly that moment that I snuck in to the nursery and snatched her up.
I was so thankful to finally hold MY niece, in my arms.
And then a cloud of fear overwhelmed me.
She is no longer safely tucked away in my sister's womb.
She was now here, in this big, scary, dangerous world!
I held her closer and committed to praying over this little beauty for the rest of my life.


Friday night I was blessed to have the opportunity to sit on the field at her High School and watch her soar across the stage and accept her diploma.
And I was so excited for her to start this amazing college journey that she has ahead of her.
And then, a cloud of fear overwhelmed me.
She's a college student now, and has to make all kinds of big important decisions.
And some may be hard, and some may hurt, and things may not always be fun.
And I grabbed that girl and prayed over her.
And I will pray over her for the rest of my life.


The ceremony was really fabulous.  The speakers where great, the performances were amazing and they rolled through the 500+ graduates pretty quickly!

The following day we continued the celebration at Makenna's grad party.
Really fun day.  
So many friends and family came from all over to cheer her on and give her some love.

Matt and I got her a gift.
This is my wrapping job.
It is creative, just in a different, less labor intensive way.
And she was totally fine with it.
She gets me.


So congratulations to an incredibly talented, super smart, beautiful young woman who has accomplished so much already, and is really just begining.



Comments

Unknown said…
Makenna says, "I love my Aunty Riss so much".
Thank you for always supporting her, celebrating with her and most of all praying for her. It was super special to have you there for her graduation.

Popular Posts