First Day of school success.

We got up, ate what is considered a reasonably healthy breakfast, and got to our places of education and employment on time!

Lessons from day one.

First, I cannot use my grandma's alarm clock.
I love this clock.  It is super retro, except its not - as in it isn't something she got at Target to resemble something from ages ago, it is circa 1972 and sat on my grandma's bedside table forever.  Well, until I snatched it.  She doesn't need it anymore, no early wakeups in heaven, so I brought it home with me.  Everyone likes this clock.  The boys have each tried to snag it from me and Matt appreciates its strategic location that allows him to check the time from his side of the bed without it being so bright that you don't even need a light in the room.
However, the alarm sounds like a fire alarm and that is never a sound you want to wake up to.  Ever.
It does get you moving quickly.  But not really in the right direction.
Alarm goes off.  Eyes fly open. I drop to the floor on the side of the bed and reach my hand out to feel if any doors are hot.  Nope.  No hot doors.  All is well.  Just turn off the alarm. And quickly get to the toilet so that I don't have my own little fire suppression system go off if ya know what I mean.
Maybe this isn't exactly how it played out, but who knows.  It was 6am and the worlds scariest alarm clock just sent my brain into panic mode.  A few more seconds of that thing and I would have been tying sheets together to repel out of the bedroom window.
I prefer the much more soothing alarm of my phone called "uplift".  It gently uplifts me out of bed in a more reasonable fashion.

Second, keep the kiddo's crap contained.  (Whoa accidental alliteration there!)  Gabe is a hot mess.  The kid would not be able to keep track of his arms and legs if they were not attached.  He loads up in the car for the short ride to the bus stop and he sprawls out like he's going on a six hour road trip.  He got out of the car to get in the bus and after the bus pulls away I notice he left a book, a paper, and his water bottle in the car.  A 30 second car ride.  Thankfully, the bus is going to pick him up in front of our house from now on but still I probably need to ensure all items required for the day's journey are duct taped to his person.

Third, husband doesn't use logic unless instructed to do so.  I made a quick dinner (shortly after our first day of school stop at Dairy Queen - yum) and then headed out the door to take Eli to church.  Gabe was staying home with Matt.  I leave at 6:30 and Matt and Gabe were eating dinner.
I come home at 8:30 and the rest of dinner is still on the stove and the child is still downstairs watching tv.  School night?  That little thing ring a bell?  Apparently the fact that I was no longer in the building didn't kickstart any paternal instincts to put the leftovers away and maybe ask the kid to brush his teeth and get ready for bed before the time is 30 minutes passed.

Other than these minor issues, the first day was fine.  Both boys had a "great" day.  And I didn't really do anything so there isn't much to complain about.

One more thing.  I did not wear white pants today.  I have worn white pants the first day for the past two years, however I got a text from my boss last night that said "don't wear anything nice tomorrow, the building is a mess".  Boo.  Our school is about halfway through a major construction project and it is a dusty nasty place.  So, I wore closed toe shoes, not adorable yet uncomfortable sandals and no white pants.


Comments

Popular Posts