Yesterday Eli told me he liked old people.
I asked him if he could choose to spend a few hours with a 6 month old baby or an 86 year old grandparent who would he choose?
I thought for sure he would choose the baby.
He loves babies.  LOVES them.  He always wants to hold the little ones and play with the older ones.  When Mason was a baby Eli never let that boy out of his sight.  He played with him, fed him, held him when he was sad, he would pass up playing with his friends if Mason was around and wanted to play with Eli.  There was a time when Mason would go to Eli over anyone else when he was hurt, and Eli loved it.
So I was surprised when Eli said he would spend the time with an old person.
When I asked way he said "well I'd choose an old person over a baby because the old person isn't going to be around as long as the baby".
He continued to tell me that he liked old people because he liked their stories.

It made me think for a bit about what I would choose or rather what I have chosen in the past.  I have never volunteered any time to hang out with old people (with the exception of my own grandparents) but I sure love to help with babies.  I've spent hours in nurseries holding little kids but I can't think of a time that I even considered befriending some older folks.
While babies are cuter, I think Eli has a point here that I have missed.  It is the older generation that has stories to tell, life lessons to share and wisdom to offer.  And it is that generation that is quickly fading away.

Maybe I should find some older people that Eli and I can spend some time with.

Just in case you are thinking "that Eli is so awesome and sweet", let me adjust that thinking....
Eli was hungry but it was getting close to dinner time so I said "drink a big glass of water and that will help hold you over until dinner" to which he gave me the world's biggest eye roll and said "right like drinking water will help with my hunger".
I was a little shocked, isn't this tidbit of information common knowledge?
"Uh ya Eli doctors, nutritionists, like everyone says that drinking water before a meal actually helps fill you up"
He loudly huffed.  Moaned something like "why is this happening", and stormed off.
He isn't always nice.

Comments

Popular Posts