We have been moving into our new classroom all week.  I don't think unpacking has ever been so dirty.  Every single thing we brought in to our classroom was covered in a layer of sheetrock type dust.  Even on the inside of boxes which is a little mysterious.  How does that happen?
While there are still a lot of disorganized shelves and cupboards, almost everything is unpacked.  There are two pesky cardboard boxes still waiting for some attention, but other than that the place finally looks like we are ready to start seeing students.
Since the classroom is new, the language arts curriculum is new, the format of the program is new and the responsibilities of our team is new, we have yet to lay claim to work areas.  In our last classroom we each had "our" table, chair, and storage area that we kept all of the curriculum and other supplies that we use regularly.  After a day or two in that room we all knew where we each keep our purse, phone, lunch, and secret stash of chocolate.  However, with all the newness going on in room 101, everyone just kind of throws stuff wherever for the time being.

This past week we were getting ready to leave and someone asked "whose keys are these?"
They were building keys, not personal keys, so everyone's keys look exactly the same.

I was across the room and responded "oooh if they have a bottle opener keychain on them they are mine".
Then I kind of buried my face a little into the cupboard I was organizing.
Yep.  
I just yelled that at school.

My co-worker responded "Sierra Nevada Brewing?"  

Oh dear. It gets worse.

"A brewery key chain that doubles as a bottle opener in case I have no tools around me other than my car keys and suddenly have a hankering for a brewski?  Yes. Those are mine."

Then I asked myself "really self?  Of all the freebie key chains that I have laying in that junk drawer at home, self had to grab the bottle opener from a brewery for my work keys?"

Homework assignment week 1: find a respectable key chain.  Like one with an apple. Or a little "I heart kids" written in chalk.

Comments

Popular Posts