Staycation Day 3

Thankfully my kids like to be lazy on staycation mornings, so I get to sleep in!  They get up, watch cartoons and pour themselves some cereal before I ever open my eyes.  It is fabulous.

1.5 hours after leaving our driveway we were buying super cool kites from the kite shop and ready to hit the beach in Westport, WA.

I love the beach.  I love the sound of ocean waves, the feel of warm sand between my toes, and the fact that the kids can go wild there.
We found a million sand-dollars.
The kids buried themselves in the sand.
We had a picnic on the beach.
Gabe slayed imaginary enemies hidden in the sand dunes.
Eli and I flew the kite.  By the way who knew two handled kites were so difficult, and so incredibly fun?

I told the kids I was "whale watching" so they would leave me alone for a few minutes while I just soaked in the sights and sounds of the beach.
And we had a simply fabulous time.

From the highway that takes us from Olympia to Westport I had a glimpse of the Olympic Mountain Range to the North.  As we got a little closer to Olympia I could see Mount Rainier in the distance.  I started to think about how cool this place is.

Beach: 1.5 hours away.
Skiing: 1 hour away
City: 1 hour away.

Then a song came on the radio and made me feel all warm and fuzzy.  I'm sure I heard it before but this is the first time I really listened to it.  It is called Home by Phillip Phillips.

Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home


Seems super appropriate for me and my moves.  And for my kiddos.  This month is the month of the military child - a month to honor the sacrifices our kids make.  The road is always unfamiliar, we are often filled with fear, but I make this place our home!  Wherever it is, sooner or later, it will be home.

*Update* Eli just informed me this song is super popular because the winner of American Idol sang it.  I guess I don't get out much.







Comments

Popular Posts