Runner Bling.

I started running about 6 years ago because I wanted to be able to exercise no matter where I am with very little equipment.
Back then I ran 3-6 miles a few times a week and my equipment consisted of a pair of $30 running shoes.  I could run anywhere and everywhere with only a pair of shoes.  Perfect.  Mission accomplished.

After a while I realized I needed a pair of shoes that really fit well and were good for my feet, ankles, knees, back, etc. and so I bought a pricey pair of Asics 2150's for around $90.  Those shoes were every bit worth my money and I keep buying the same line year after year.

But what do I listen to while running?  Next came the armband and Ipod nano for Christmas.
My iPod earbuds kept falling out, so I got some sweet Sony sports headphones that never fall out and are oh so comfortable.
New nano feature alert!!!  Nike+ can track my run times. That was a fun little purchase a sensor for my shoe and adapter for the iPod gave me a good idea how far I was running and what my pace was.
I was a happy runner.

But now my hands and ears were getting cold when I ran.   Problem solved, I got Nike running gloves and an ear warmer headband one year for my birthday.
Then I needed a light weight rain jacket.  You can't really run in a big rain coat right?  I found an awesome North Face light weight rain jacket on sale one day.  And as a bonus, I won a North Face base layer running shirt that same day just for buying that jacket.  Score!  The base layer shirt is paper thin and keeps me really really warm.

When we moved to the PacNW I started wearing my raincoat for just about every run.  It was awesome except I was really cold when I started my runs in the morning.  So... I got arm warmers for a birthday.  (LOVE these!)

It is so frustrating to try and keep track of my run distance and times without a proper device.  So, I asked for and received my super cool pink Garmin GPS watch for a Christmas!  I absolutely love this little gem.  Really really love it. The Nike+ is a great idea, but it isn't very accurate and I went through 3 sensors in 3 years because they wouldn't calibrate properly.  The GPS watch is spot on.  It keeps track of my distance, time, will show me current pace and it stores all my runs and tells me when I made a new record.

I have been running in normal yoga type long pants on cold days and they were fine but..... a really sweet pair of Brooks cool weather running tights were on sale the other day and I snatched them up and they are ... awesome!  I didn't think I liked them at first but after a few miles I realized I had been missing out on these threads for far too long!  They are perfectly warm and holy cow when I got completely soaked during a run the other day they dried super fast as soon as it stopped raining.

And my latest purchase these CEP compression socks.  My calf pain issue kept me on the bench for TWO WHOLE weeks.  Thankfully, I had time built into my 1/2 marathon training schedule and the time off shouldn't cause too much of a problem but I read that compression socks can really help with recovery after a run.  I decided to try them out.  I didn't have any expectations of them making me run faster, stronger, or better, I was just hoping that they would help my circulation and recovery after my runs.  I really like them.  They make my legs all tingly and help with cramping after the run.

So much for just me and a pair of shoes.  Ha!

Comments

Unknown said…
Reminded me of the story If you give a mouse a cookie ... lol!
Clarissa. said…
Mendi, you are so right! If you give a girl freedom to run...
I'm embarrassed about paying full price for the darn CEP socks, but I didn't want to wait for the ProCompression to ship. Lame, I know. Don't tell.
Allison said…
This is hilarious! Please send it into a running mag to be published. Please! Please!!

Popular Posts