Car Chatter

It is amazing how many important questions are asked and answered in my mini-van.  And I don't even drive that much compared to most moms I know!

A few days ago Eli told me they were going to be having "the talk" in class this year.  
I said "what talk?" 
He said "you know puberty talk".
I fiercely interrogated him and determined that I had some time to deal with this issue.  I calmly said "no you won't be having "the talk" at school.  
The boys wanted to know why and I left it at "it is not the school's responsibility nor place to have "the talk" with you.  It is my job and they are not going to take it.

Days went by and the topic was revisited "tell me again why we can't talk about puberty at school?  
I reiterated that it wasn't school's business. 
Eli, right on top of things, said "actually mom it is health and health is a school subject".
Darn.

So, I decided to get right down to it.
1. I don't know if what they want to teach you is what I believe in. Our beliefs are not the same as everyone else's and the things I allow you to do (watch, play and learn about) are also usually different than what your friends' parents and your teachers allow,  so I am going to make sure that I teach you what you need to know and when you need to know it.
2. Your class is crazy, immature and disrespectful and will be little fools when the teacher talks about this subject and I don't want you to be a part of that.

Eli conceded.  "You are right.  They will be.  My class is bad."

I turned this comment into a great segue for a new subject.

"Eli, why do you think your class here in Washington is so bad compared to the classes you had in Germany"

Without a moment of hesitation he replied "there are way more kids in the class here, too many for the teacher to really pay attention to what is going on and stop kids from being bad".

I think he hit the nail on the head there.

I'm glad that Eli understands where I'm coming from on this issue.  He totally agrees that the kids in his class are really immature and will make a joke out of "the talk".  I'm hoping to make him feel like he is getting the better deal by missing out on the mess that the class will be during the lessons.
I'm also hoping that he will see that it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, we are called to a higher purpose than following the crowd.

Comments

Popular Posts