Cards

I spent a few hours last week in the garage sorting through boxes and boxes of stuff we had in our storage unit in Virginia for the past three years.  A bunch of the boxes were filled with cards and letters.  As I was sorting I would stop and read some.  I was so touched by the words of encouragement and love that filled the thousands of pages in those boxes.  Sometimes I would read a "thank you" note or card and recall exactly when the person sent it to me.  It made for a long process of sorting but it was a very sweet walk down memory lane.
I have to admit that there are a few things that didn't make the cut. The kids school work.  I did save some projects that detailed what the kids were interested in or pictures that depicted themselves at the time, but all those math sheets and random scribble scrabble....gone.  Another thing I don't typically save are cards that were just signed, unless the card itself was insanely funny or particularly special for some reason.  Sorry but if all you do is sign your name, I enjoy it for the week or so and then toss it.
The cards I keep are ones that are filled with words that I don't ever want to forget.  Today, I received one of those cards.  I read the words inscribed and it nearly brought me to my knees.

Just in case you are not skilled in Gabe's 8 year old handwriting and spelling, I'll translate for you.


"I hope you have a good birthday.  We have lots of fun together. I will be with you for ever and ever.  I am some trouble some times but I am a good boy.  Love Gabe"

Oh my sweet Gabriel.

I love what he decided to include in his note: we have fun, he'll be with me forever, and he is a good boy.  I'm not sure if he was reminding me or reminding himself of this fact.  Either way, it was that last line that caused a huge knot to well up in my throat.  He knows he causes me to shake my head and wonder how in the world this child manages to do some of the things he does!  But he also knows that his mistakes, his failings, his struggles and his trouble, do not define him.

Oh the things that we can learn from this little guy.

Gabe wasn't there when I opened my card and gifts tonight.  He was actually in trouble for his behavior at dinner and was in his room.  When I went upstairs and thanked him for my gift I said "I love my bracelet but do you know what I love even more?"  I was going to tell him how much I loved his card and that he spent time writing sweet words to me, but before I could say anything he whispered his answer "me?" Yes Gabe.  You.


Comments

You made my mommy's heart ache reading this....and my eyes quite damp. So precious.
Rachael said…
Oh my goodness . . . seriously. I just want to squeeze that little guy and my second born son as well. Thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts