Bittersweet.

Today I received my first Christmas card of 2012!
I was so excited.
I have a card tree that I hang on the wall and it always looks so pathetic until the cards start rolling in.  I particularly love cards with a little update from the sender and a photo or two.  Sure, there is facebook to keep me posted throughout the year....but I love a good Christmas card including a synopsis of the year passed and plans for the future.
My first card this year is special for a few reasons.  It is my first, so that in itself makes is special, the card is printed on heavy card stock and I love the simple elegance of nice paper, the little girl is so darn adorable I can't get over it and most importantly it serves as a reminder of what this season will bring for a handful of my friends, deployment.
The front of the card was an image capture of the family using FaceTime.  The larger image is the woman and daughter at their home in the US and the smaller inset image is the man, dressed in his uniform, streaming from Afghanistan.  All were smiling, looking full of joy and love.  The message at the top said "Happy Holidays".
This is how some of my friends will spend their Christmas "together" this year.
This year our friends Matt, Marty, Aaron, Julie and Nick will all be celebrating Christmas in Afghanistan along with about 65,000 other Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.  
My heart goes out to them and their families.
Please join me this year in praying specifically for our friends.  Our prayer is that they experience the joy and beauty of Christmas wherever they are, that they will feel love and encouragement from friends, family, and strangers, and that God will continue to keep them safe and return them home soon.



Comments

Popular Posts