You have reached your destination.

A few days ago I had the awesome opportunity to attend a Huskies game in Seattle with my Washingtonian family.  I'm totally not ashamed to admit that I am a hometown fan. Wherever my current hometown is, there my team is also.  I'm currently a die-hard UW Husky fan and I will remain one forever or until we move.
The plan was for me to meet up with everyone at my cousin's dorm and then carpool down to the game.  I told my GPS where I wanted to go and set off for the college.  I had no clue where I was going so I really had to just trust the GPS.  After a quick jaunt through the city I pulled up to a "t" intersection and my GPS declared "You have reached your destination.  Your destination is on the right".
I looked out the window up and to the right to find: the Space Needle.  Last I checked, Seattle Pacific University was not located inside or directly below the Space Needle. Time to pull over and reassess.

Thankfully there was a parking lot nearby and I was able to work some magic and get back on track.  I met up with the family and had a blast at the game.  The end.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I celebrated my 36th birthday this week.  I have been happily married for nearly 16 years, I have two healthy and wildly entertaining, mostly obedient boys, I have some amazing friends and supportive family, I have had the benefit of living in Hawaii, outside DC and in Germany, and I've travelled all over the place.  My husband has a secure job with good healthcare, there is always food on the table with some to spare, we "own" a pretty big shiny new home. I'm afforded the opportunity to stay home with my kids, work out while they are in school and have random coffee dates. We have an older but decent van and the Pretty Pretty Princess tucked away in the 3 car garage and right now I'm typing on my Mac in the office, while Matt and the boys are watching a movie in the media room.  We are living in a place we always hoped to return to, we are living our dream.
The GPS just said "you have arrived at your destination".
But I feel a little like I did while sitting under the Space Needle.  I was really happy that I was there, however it really wasn't my destination.

We have come to a place in our life where we have attained more than we really ever thought we would.  We feel blessed beyond measure and humbled by the bounty before us.  But, this is just another plot on the map.  Our true destination is still ahead.

I am not ungrateful, but ready.  I'm ready for the bigger things to come.  Not a bigger house or car.  I'm ready for relationships to be built, for roots to bury into the ground, for traditions to be set.  I'm here and I'm happy but I'm ready to get to the real destination.  The place where I'll be challenged, where I become stronger, better, wiser.  I'm ready to embrace the Pacific Northwest, the people, the culture, and figure out what our family will look like here.

(Many apologies for the numerous running stories and analogies but Paul saw fit, so I feel like I have a Biblical license to as well!)  In the morning I get my running gear on.  It is chilly, so I pile on the gloves, arm warmers, ear warmer/headband thing and a light rain jacket - just in case.  I have my ipod charged and tuned to my music or podcast for the day, my headphones are in, shoes tied tight, and on a good morning I have spent at least a moment or two stretching.  It doesn't do me any good to show up at the race ready, if I don't actually run.
So that's all I'm saying.  I'm ready.  Fire the gun.  Let's get it started!



Comments

Popular Posts