The Pox


I have social conscious. I vaccinated my kids to prevent them from contracting and spreading harmful childhood diseases and illnesses and yet one apparently has Chicken Pox. I want my money back!!
Gabe breaks out in a horrible rash which we thought was hives at first, then figured it must be horrible flea or chigger bites, and finally decided it was whoa-something-is-really-wrong-here-we-better-take-him-to-the-doctor rash.
The doctor came in to the room cool, calm and collected and left in a little panic. He returned with another doctor for a second opinion, and then with a few masks and gloves, then with a medic to take samples of the little dot ooze, and finally a community health nurse tasked with logging our every move for the past 5 days to determine who may be at risk of contracting the virus.
Apparently, Chicken Pox is mostly eradicated due to the varicella vaccine so this shiny new case on the books sent a quiet doctor's office into a scene from that Dustin Hoffman movie where the monkey gave everyone some crazy new virus and they were trying to determine if they should blow up the town or look for a vaccine.
Once the swabs of Gabe's ooze were collected they were quickly inserted into a tube and then into a cooler marked "biohazard" and rushed off to the lab for further review. I actually heard the medic say "this is a time sensitive matter- I need to move quickly". As my little masked Gabe covered in oozy sores made his way out of the clinic people were so kind to move away from us, quickly, almost running, while covering their mouths and dousing themselves in Purell.
Poor Gabe just may be the subject of a post-wide alert of a varicella breakout.
The shame.
The itching.
The boredom of being in lock down.
We received our official quarantine orders, about 20 replacement masks, and some drugs to help the itch. I'm not making him wear the masks at home, but based on the reaction of everyone at the clinic who saw him wearing the mask, these might come in handy when I'm trying to get to the front of the line at the commissary.

Comments

mrscotis said…
Thats crazy! Both of my boys got the pox after they were vaccinated as well. They weren't treated that way. Poor Gabe. :(
Unknown said…
Both of my kiddos got it too after the vaccine. That is no fun at all!
Rachael said…
poor sweet gabey! I mean, seriously, what is so horrible about chicken pox? Me and my sibblings had it as kids . . . and as far as I can tell there are no real after-effects? ; )

what is this world coming to?

Popular Posts