Flags on a Map

We just returned from a long weekend in Madrid. We love Spain! It was sunny and warm, and simply a great city.
We have travelled quite a bit since moving here to Germany and one question that I have been asked over and over is "what was your favorite destination?" I thought this would be easy, but it turns out to be one of the most difficult questions to answer. Traveling brings me joy through numerous ways. It all starts with the planning. I love it! I enjoy searching for good deals on hotels/apartments and airfare as well as plotting out points of interest for the selected destination. Once we've arrived I take it all in like a deep breath after swimming underwater for a minute. The sights, sounds, and culinary delights are all part of the experience for me. When we return I almost immediately look through the pictures I took and relive the whole adventure.
We have visited many tourists hot-spots as well as quite less popular destinations. I have found beauty and entertainment in each place and choosing a favorite seems impossible.
What I realized in my quest to pick my favorite spot, is that my adventure in each of these cities is equally based on who I am traveling with as where I am. When I recall a vacation, the first thing I think about is who was there with me, what our mood was and what was going on in the dynamics of my travel party at that time.
Our trip to Cadiz and Seville, Spain a few years back remains high on my list of favorites. Not only was the destination gorgeous but it was the first time our family of four had vacationed somewhere other than back to California. Our trips that we have done with friends or family members are also really special as we had a chance to experience something new with people that we love. Road trips are always an adventure for us, as 4-6 hour drives are never without entertainment. Seeing historical sights, beauty, culture and adventurous travel are all wonderful. So, bottom line is I still can't choose.
What I learned from this is that all these places we have visited are just places somewhere in the world, flag pins we've put on a map, but it is sharing the adventure of traveling to these places with people I love that makes each destination so special.

Comments

Rachael said…
ok . . . but you must have at least some rough ranking system?! Speaking of flags on a map- did you ever find a blown up map of Europe to mark all your destinations? I would love to see an on-line version of that!

Popular Posts