Ma-ma.

Oh those sounds were so sweet the first time I heard them. I remember when Eli switched from mama to mommy and then on to mom. Gabe still calls me mama, I'm not sure why he didn't cycle through like Eli.
Somewhere along the line "mom" turned to "moooooooooom" and then it wasn't sweet anymore. Then "moooooom" turned into "moooooooom" where the "m" and the first 3 "o's" are really high and then the last few "o's" and the last "m" are low. Then there is the "mooooom" that starts low and gets high.
One word that means so many different things. A few distinct versions of mom actually mean "mom I'm telling on my brother", "mom, I can't find something" and "mom, I'm yelling at you from downstairs or outside because I'm too lazy to come find you".
As a new mom, I didn't think I would ever get tired of hearing "mom". I was wrong. Saturday night I was making dinner, cleaning the kitchen, prepping stuff for Sunday breakfast, making sure the girls I was babysitting were not being tainted by any neighborhood kid antics, and trying to answer all the times my boys yelled "mom". One needed a towel, one needed shorts, one was telling me that one of the girls had her hair tangled in a button, one was fighting with the other, one was telling on the one fighting with the other and one needed a drink, then the other, and everyone was hungry.
I think I heard "mom" called at least 100 times that day and not a single time did the word sound sweet or was the word followed by "I love you" or preceded by "thanks".
At this moment, Monday at 6:30pm I am counting down the hours until nobody can say "mom".
At this moment, Monday at 6:32pm I am thanking God for giving me two rascally boys to use my name too often and praying that I will hear my name over and over again for many years to come.

Comments

Rachael said…
yes . . . it is a skill and an art to appreciate all forms of that word because I am sure we will miss them- even the demanding and lazy "moms" -when they are not an everyday occurance!

Popular Posts