Lessons from Rachael

If you don't know that I have a friend named Rachael, then you either a. have never spoken to me b. are reading this blog for the first time or c. you mentally block out people's names to protect their identity.
Rachael is not only a great friend to me, but also a teacher. As we spent time together over the last few years I learned so much from her. She personifies the Fruits of the Spirit, and is truly an amazing mother, wife, and friend. As I watched her in daily life, I saw attributes of her personality that I wanted to strive to make my own. She proved to me that it is in-fact possible live righteously even in difficult, stressful, and busy times.
I've learned a lot of things from Rachael: how to bake an apple pie from scratch, how to order a drink at Panera in order to secure a cold drink for dinner followed by a nice cup of Joe to-go, and plenty of other time-saving, money-saving tricks. But the things that admire most about Rachael are her words, her trust in the Lord, and her joy.
Proverbs 16:24 "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Rachael's speech is quite possibly the sweetest, most healing I have ever heard. Her words of encouragement are always well timed and heartfelt and the way that she speaks to her children in stressful situations leaves me in awe. She responds with such a sweet, calm tone, even when the kids need a little correction. I don't think I have ever heard her complain. OK, the barista at Starbucks slipped her some regular coffee instead of decaf and she was a little miffed, but as far as expressing unhappiness with a circumstance - I'd be hard pressed to find an example. Rachael's words are always uplifting . . . healing . . . a honeycomb.
Psalm 91:2 "I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." God is truly Rachael's refuge and the One she trusts. In her toughest battles and most stressful times Rachael goes to her knees to spend time with God and dives into his Word searching for his promises. Her faith and trust in God isn't something religious, it is the real deal. Last year she was technically homeless as her husband was on the job hunt. She believed God was going to take care of them, and He did. While I was wasting my time thinking about what their "plan b" could be, she was on her knees trusting that they didn't need a plan b, God had everything under control.
Ecclesiastes 8:15 "So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun."
Rachael enjoys life. She finds joy in the small things and takes time to really enjoy her children and family. She also finds joy in the tough times. Instead of focusing on the current struggle, she embraces the transformations that take place because of the challenge. She enjoys all that God has given her, daily.
Today is Rachael's birthday and I'm truly blessed by who God created her to be and that He placed her in my life a few years ago.

Comments

mrscotis said…
I feel blessed to have met your dear friend Rachel.
Sylvia said…
We so enjoy your Blog, we think about you guys daily and pray for you also. May 2010 be a wonderful year for you.
Unknown said…
i am a little speechless . . . feeling very undeserving of all your kind words yet super blessed to have a friend who takes the time to share her heart. I guess the birthday gifts just keep on coming!
Unknown said…
Great post about my lovely wife. I was catching up reading your blog after not checking it for a few weeks and it was a jolt to see you posting just about her. You got it right too, about her reaction to our job hunt and her daily joy. Thanks so much for posting this.

Ryan

Popular Posts