A Dark Day

Today was a dark day.
It didn't start off bad. I walked Eli to school in the snow, came home made a fresh pot of coffee, drank coffee, checked email and news, watched Gabe play so sweetly that I canceled homeschool so he could continue his battle between his M&M Nutcracker and newly constructed Lego beast. . . . all good things.
And then around 4pm I went down to the laundry room to switch the wash to the dryers and the sky grew dark, a wind howled through the trees, an ominous cloud moved into place right above the apartment building and my world came to an end. Not THE world, but MY world.
For the past 4 months we have enjoyed a peaceful coexistence with our awesome neighbors. We have mutual respect for keeping the noise down, keeping common areas clean, and taking care of laundry in a timely manner. With just two families in a stairwell of 6 apartments, we have room to spread out a little. We each have our areas for laundry supplies, shoes, clothes that hang dry, bikes, and extra storage items. We take turns cleaning our spare bathroom, and we take note when someone leaves their car lights on or car door open. It is a good situation, it is a fabulous situation!
I should say, WAS a fabulous situation. Today on the way down to the laundry room I noticed someone struggling to get in the front door. At first I thought it was my neighbor's daughter but then, I realized it was new neighbors.
Horrified, I helped them in offered to help unload their car, introduced myself and then raced down to the laundry room in a panic. They are invading our territory. They were not invited to live here. Eli sensed by bewilderment and asked "mom are you mad that those people are moving in?" Uh yeah!
I finished the laundry and came inside my apartment. My thoughts became flashes of messy, loud, rude people taking over our little peaceful stairwell. I was outraged.
I grabbed some books that I borrowed from my neighbor and headed upstairs. I knocked, she invited me in and I exclaimed "we have new neighbors!"
Down from my fit, I realize I was overreacting a tad. I don't have to move my stuff or rearrange my laundry schedule. Other than passing them in the hall and in the laundry room, I probably won't even notice they are here. Maybe it will be a good thing.
To be continued . . .

Comments

Oh you'll be fine! I know you automatically go through the "worst case scenario" first! Although I am about to get a taste of "apartment complex" living in a few months, so I suppose I should take notes!

Popular Posts