Anticipation

Sometimes the build up is greater than the actual event.
The anticipation of a coming event can fill your mind for days, weeks, or months - but so often the event itself is a blink of an eye in comparison to all that preparation and excitement.
As I was listening to Christmas music and wrapping gifts today, my thoughts drifted to the day after Christmas. Maybe it won't really be the day after Christmas, but somewhere around there we'll take all the decorations down and the house will lose its beautiful glow. Our playlist will return to regular recent hits as we bid Frank, The Rat Pack, and other Christmas albums "farewell" until next year. The excitement of finding perfect gifts for friends and family will be long gone as will the cookies, eggnog, and Christmas Blend coffee. The kids will no longer countdown the days until Christmas and I won't hear them chattering about what they hope to find under the tree. Christmas day will have come and gone.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and the next day is Christmas, why am I skipping ahead to the days that will follow? I find myself mourning the end of the period leading up to Christmas. The emotions of the season will evaporate and life will return to normal. Normal is nice but lacks the thrill of the Christmas build up. I enjoy all the things leading up to Christmas as much or more than Christmas morning! I like the anticipation, I wouldn't mind hanging on to it for a little longer. I'm afraid my anticipation of Christmas will be replaced by disappointment that the season is over.
I wonder if what I am feeling was in any way similar to the way the Jews felt a few thousand years ago. For years the world waited for the Messiah. There was great anticipation of what he would be, what he would do, and how he would change the world. When Jesus arrived in a stable in Bethlehem and not in a palace, and when he changed the world by offering hope and salvation instead of political freedom and power, the anticipation was replaced with disappointment. What people thought they were waiting for ended up being something they didn't want. In some ways it was probably more comforting to still be waiting for a Messiah that they wanted than accepting the Messiah that came.
I reprimanded myself for being caught up in the emotions of this holiday, and took a moment to remember what all this is really about. Christmas, a celebration of the birth of Christ our Savior. A celebration of what I have to live for every day of the year, not just Christmas. A celebration of my Messiah.
Isaiah 9:4-6 proclaims
"For as in the day of Midian's defeat, you have shattered the yoke that burdens them, the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor.
Every warrior's boot used in battle and every garment rolled in blood will be destined for burning, will be fuel for the fire.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Anticipation will be replaced with celebration that my Messiah has come.

Comments

mrscotis said…
It is always amazing to me how you can so beautifully put words down on paper ( or on line) that speak the hearts of so many. Well done! AGAIN. Wishing you and your family a very blessed Christmas and an exciting 2010. Love you.
Suzann said…
Yes, very, VERY well said. I feel exactly the same way. Enjoy your special day and enjoy, more, the day after :0)

Popular Posts