'Twas 11 days before Christmas . . .

...and I have yet to receive a single Christmas card. I can blame myself a little, I didn't mail any change of address cards. However, I did email our new address to family and friends so I expected at least a few. I always enjoy reading the flood of Christmas letters and looking at updated family photos that fill my mailbox in December. So far, I got nothing. My little card holder tree hangs empty waiting for the ornaments to decorate it's branches.
...and I haven't heard a single bell. Back in the States, you can't go anywhere without hearing the sound of the Salvation Army Bell Ringers. This year no bells, no red buckets, no dumping spare change.
...and no Nutcrackers. For some reason Gabe asked Santa for 21 Nutcrackers for Christmas. I wasn't on my game when he first dictated his list to Eli, so I just began my frantic Nutcracker search a few days ago. Apparently, finding those little miniature Nutcrackers ornaments here in Germany is like winning the lotto. I found 6 but they were 5 Euro each. Not only is 6 no where near the much needed and anticipated 21, but at that rate I can't afford to buy them. So, after looking absolutely everywhere I gave up. I'm not going to let this little Army of Nutcrackers take me down. It was very sweet of my pals to offer to search for them back home and then ship them. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of my buddies in the US.

What I do have going for me is a decorated house, batches of cookies, Matt home from Oslo, Milli in from California, a few snow flurries here and there just to make me smile, Christmas music, and each night the boys and I, and whoever happens to be home, read a little about Advent about the first coming of the long awaited Messiah, and the hope, love, grace, and peace that he brought for us.
I miss the cards, the bell ringers, and those darn Nutcrackers, but other than that, things are good, really good.

Comments

Unknown said…
I mailed mine out yesterday so depending on how long it takes to get to your part of the world, you can expect mine in your mailbox soon!
Unknown said…
I am so sorry we were such slackers on our christmas card- i completely blame ryan- hopefully you have gotten it by now?! next year you will be our inspiration to get it our early!

Popular Posts