Thoughts on . . .

Throughout the past week I have often thought of something that I wanted to blog about, but haven't had the time to complete the thought or write it down, so today I'm going to write my incomplete thoughts on various subjects.

Laundry:
I was horrified when I found out our tiny apartment wouldn't have a washer and dryer in it. Who lives like that? However, I have come to enjoy my laundry situation. Since we are on the 1st floor and the laundry is in the basement it isn't a huge trek to go do laundry and once down in the basement I get to do multiple loads of laundry at a time! I usually only take up 2 washers just in case someone else needs to do some laundry too. I go down with two loads, toss them in the washer and go upstairs. I return 30 minutes later with 2 more loads, put the wash stuff into the dryer and put the new stuff in the washers. Return 30 minutes later to switch wash to dryer, check dryers (they are never ready in 30 mins). I return in a half hour to get the first 2 loads of stuff and 30 minutes later to retrieve the rest. So, in 1 1/2 hours I wash,dry, fold and put away 4 loads of laundry. That is cool.
I have also come to enjoy chatting with my neighbor while doing laundry. You can't do that if you are doing laundry in the comfort of your own home.

Neighbors: I think my upstairs neighbor wears high heels and is training for a marathon - in the apartment. My stairwell mates are all pretty quiet but when my house is quiet and my upstairs neighbor is going about her business in hard soled shoes, that sound of clickity clacking shoes on wood floors is close to nails on a chalk board.

Homeschooling: I started homeschooling Gabe this week. So far things are going well. We have a little routine and Gabe seems to be enjoying himself and learning a little along the way too. He has a memory verse, color, letter and number of the week, and we do fun things like practice recognizing numbers by measuring things (the kid loves a tape measure) and remembering body part names like "ankle" by playing "Simon Says". However, my kids clearly don't respect the idea of home school. Gabe keeps mentioning things like "in my REAL school with Ms Nancy..." (last year's preschool teacher) or "when I go to REAL school . . . " and my favorite was when Eli announced at the dinner table a few days ago that "Mom is PRETENDING to teach Gabe". Seriously folks, this is what I'm dealing with here.

Unpacking: I so badly wanted all the boxes out of my house that I just unloaded stuff into A cupboard somewhere in the vicinity of where I think the item might eventually rest and moved on. I didn't wait for shelf liners or to even wipe down the cupboards, I just piled stuff in. It is completely not my nature to just toss stuff there, but desperate times called for desperate measures. There is no room in this apartment for boxes.

Boxes: some of our most hilarious scenes have occurred after 11pm with moving supplies. I had to hoist Matt into the dumpster to smash down all the paper we threw in there. This shouldn't be entertaining but it was. As I put my knee out for Matt to stand on my thigh he decided it was the perfect time to pretend we were cheerleaders. I can't explain the scene, but I was laughing so hard that when he stepped on to my leg to get in the dumpster I couldn't stay still and I inadvertently (maybe) caused him to tumble into the dumpster. We had a lot of loads of paper and boxes to take to the dumpster - there was a lot of laughter. The neighbors probably think we are crazy.

Skanky T: While lounging around the house in a skanky tank top, it is highly recommended that you keep a respectable shirt by the front door in case of visitors. The emergency shirt was used twice in one day. Good plan.

Comments

Unknown said…
It is good to hear that the laundry days are working out to your advantage and interaction with neighbors too. Adult conversation! what more could you ask for? (besides a maid) When I worked with you girls at that age you probably thought I was playing school too.You and Matt are a little crazy, but thats what makes you, you and others probably wish they could be as crazy and do life to the fullest. I love your writings and not just because I'm your mom. Keep it up.
Christy said…
okay, I just had a minute to catch up on your blog and imagining you and Matt pretending to be cheerleaders at the dumpster is still making me laugh.

luckily, Charles only has Sunday school for comparison. And Thomas used to think he went to school in "hotel" - because we lived in one for almost a year when we were in Bali. (he had no idea what school was)
Unknown said…
you are hilarious!

Popular Posts