On Running, Again.

I know, I keep talking about running. Its because I struggle with it every day so it is on my mind. Or maybe, it is that my legs hurt so bad right now I can't think of anything else. At any rate I'm running again. The blister turned into a rock-solid chunk of flesh that is now so hard it is just daring those comfort shoes to try and break it down. All is well for the feet.
I have to say I love, really love Nike+. I mocked it when Matt HAD to have an ipod so that he could have Nike+, but now that I use mine all of the time, I must publicly apologize for making fun of him. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it is basically a high-tech pedometer. I have a sensor on my shoe and the "brains" in my ipod. I pick my music and tell the brain that I want to run for distance, time, calories, or whatever and then push "start". A nice voice encourages me by telling me my pace, distance traveled, and time. It also keeps a record of your runs. Today, I looked back at my record to see what days I ran, how far, and how fast. It is cool.
I also like listening to "live" albums while running. At the end of every song, the audience claps. I like to pretend they are cheering for me.
A low tech bonus for my run today - I aired up the tires in the jogger. It is truly amazing how a few pumps of air in those tires can really change the difficulty of pushing it. So, the DOT really knows what they are talking about when they tell drivers to ensure their car tires are inflated properly to save gas. Who would have thought?
My last thought on running, for now, is with regards to the effectiveness of running as a method of weight loss. I read this one website that suggested you must constantly change your route and running regime in order for running to remain effective, because your body gets used to certain things and doesn't require as much to accomplish the same task if repeated over time. Fine. This may apply to most people, but me? I have been running 3-4 miles for 25 days now (with the few days off here and there) and it is still hard. In fact, today I returned from a 4 mile run and sat on the chairs in front of the apartment building for 5 minutes trying to work up the energy to make it up 4 steps to the house. It will take a lot more for my body to catch on to what I'm trying to do to it.
The other day I took some pictures of the forest that I run around in, they are posted here for your entertainment. It should be a slideshow but technology is not on my side. If you click on the picture to make it larger, you can also scroll through all the pictures. The password is still ourphotos.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love my Nike+!!! Mine isn't calibrated right so it says I run less than I did but that just makes me run further!! Glad to hear your feet are feeling better cuz I agree I obsess about running too!

Popular Posts