Running it out.

Yesterday was "the perfect storm" in my house. The winds, tides, planet alignment, gravity, el Nino, everything was aligned just perfectly for an explosion of ginormous proportions.
I was teetering on an emotional breakdown at the same time that my kids were decorating the house with that darn Easter basket grass, slamming doors, whining about dinner choices and a whole bunch of other crazy business. There was yelling, crying, silent treatments, and finally everyone passed out.

This morning I woke up, tired, still emotionally ragged from last night's storm, and dreading the day. That is when I decided to run it out. I was going to go to the gym after dropping the kids off at school, but changed my mind and headed to Burke Lake Park instead. The park is just a few miles from our house and has a beautiful 4.7 mile trail around the lake. Most of the trail is nestled in the woods with peek-a-boo views of the lake. It was a cool 55 degrees outside this morning, perfect weather for me to run in.
So, I ran it out. I selected some good tunes on the ipod and ran all the stress, frustration, regret and tears out. I admired the quiet of the trail, the lone red bird in the green trees, the size of goose poop (seriously that stuff is huge), and the calm water. When I finished, I was awake and everything that was in my head at the beginning of the run was gone. I felt refreshed and ready to continue with this day.

Comments

Maureen said…
What I wouldn't give to have a peaceful minute alone like that. Sounds heavenly.

Popular Posts