Not a soccer mom.

The boys started sports this weekend. Eli plays t-ball on Saturdays and Gabriel plays soccer on Sundays. I received the schedules a few weeks ago and immediately entered all the games and practices into my ipod. My ipod serves as the master calendar for the household - it has everything from the usual appointments and activities to my workout schedule and what day I plan to clean what part of the house. When in doubt, consult the ipod.
So what happened with soccer? After receiving the mailed scheduled for soccer, I also received an email from the soccer coach a few weeks later and a phone call from him early this week. Everything was a "go" for soccer and for Gabriel's first team sports experience until today's first soccer practice. We arrived at the soccer field at 2pm only to find out that Gabriel's team, the stars, had practice at 1pm.
All the 2pm practice teams were on the field in their very fabulous uniforms, and I looked at Gabe ready to play, and had to explain that I messed up. The printed schedule said "1pm" therefore my ipod said 1pm, but the email said "2pm" and I think the coach told me "1pm" when he called but I was only slightly paying attention. I don't know why I didn't call or email him to double check.
So, we brought our slightly sad soccer player home, set up our own net, grabbed the soccer ball and planned to run some drills. Eli was ready to play, Matt and I were set to teach Gabe some of the skills that the coach most likely went over at practice, and Matt had the camera ready for some action shots but Gabe had a meltdown.
Instead of practicing passes, dribling, kicks, and shooting - we got tears, fits, pouting and stomping. I'm furious, Eli is irritated, and Matt calmly looked on at the scene that was unfolding. After about 10 minutes I brought Gabe in for a nap and Eli and Matt went for a bike ride.
If this is a preview of the next 8 weeks, someone pray now!

Comments

Popular Posts