Puke

Warning: this story is not for the week stomached.
Last week as Gabriel was getting ready for bed he told me that he tummy hurt. I said "well go to bed and you'll feel better". About an hour later I woke up to a silent Gabe staring at me with puke all over his shirt. He puked in his bed.
Today, Eli was on his way out the door for school and he said his tummy hurt. I asked a few questions about how his tummy hurt, he seemed fine so I ushered him out the door. Sure enough, around noon the phone rang and the school nurse said that he was complaining of a tummy ache. I picked him up and proceeded to drag him to Chickfila for me to grab a sandwich, Gabe's school to pick him up and then on to Costco. He was dragging though Costco but obediently followed along as I finished my grocery shopping. All went well until we stepped foot out of Costco and Eli threw up all over in the parking lot. We were actually on the main part of the road where everyone has to walk in order to get into Costco, so I felt really bad for all the people who witnessed the act of or the product of Eli expelling his lunch onto the parking lot median.
What is my lesson to be learned here? Believe them. My kids never feign illness. If they say they are not feeling well, they usually end up with something within a few hours. I don't know why I didn't believe them. Lesson learned, in the future I will take their self-assessment to heart!
On a puking side note: I was so proud of Gabe the night that he was sick. After the first episode, I put a trash can by his bed and wouldn't you know, it the pitch black of night that child found the trash can every time. Not a speck of puke anywhere else. After his shower the next morning he looked at me, with his eyes really big and pointed to his cheeks. It only took a second to understand what he was trying to tell me. I quickly grabbed something for him to vomit in and all was good. That is some serious holding power! I never thought I would be so proud of my child for puking in a designated area!

Comments

Oh kids with stomach bugs are rough! Maddy had one a month or two ago after eating pasta and hot dogs. Guh-ross. And I was the fortunate one to catch it...in my pajama shirt, sitting in my bed (what was I thinking?). I found her a bucket after that, and she hit it every time. I threw the pajama shirt away.
Maureen said…
Eli got sick too? Oh no. Lucas must have had something else going on because he just threw up that one time and was good after that. And it was all milk and hot dog. Yuck. As much as it sucked cleaning up puke at a restaurant, I have to say cleaning puke out of a bed is worse. That's one thing you don't realize until you have kids. They give you zero warning!

No more puking around here. Just dealing with lots of poop...again. Wish I could figure out what this is about. I'm guessing it's a bug this time because it's more diarrhea and he has a slight fever. But I am so DONE with this child and his bodily fluids! On top of it all, he peed on his changing pad after his bath tonight. Ugh.

Popular Posts