One down . . .

My friend Katie came to visit this past week. We had a great time together, mostly chatting. We talked over meals, on walks, while picking up and dropping of the boys, over late night cups of tea, exercising, and everything in between. It was great to catch up on the past, dream about the future, and get ideas on everything from potty training and recipes to gifts and vacation plans. Katie is such a great friend and I treasure our time together.
Everything was going well until about 5pm on Friday when we were on our way to the airport. Since I left Clarksville about 4 years ago, Katie and I have seen each other about twice a year. I've made my way to TN or Alabama to see her and she's come out here a few times for a visit. Every time we say goodbye we are sad to leave, but confident that we'll see each other in a few months. This time was different. Her schedule is packed between now and the end of May, and after that I'll be consumed with getting things ready for the move. This was the last time we would see each other before I leave the States, and quite possibly the last time we see each other for a very long time.
We wept openly and hysterically at the airport. The police officers that keep cars moving at the departures curb walked by us a few times afraid (I think) to say a word. We cried about how Eli and Gabe are going to be so big in 3 years, and how I won't get to meet her baby until it is no longer a baby. We cried about the time difference between TN and Germany and we cried about how much we will miss each other. We encouraged each other the best we could, and in a moment of peace and just plain running out of energy to cry we let each other go.
As I drove away, trying to get a grip on my emotions, I realized this is one "goodbye" down with many more to go.

Comments

Popular Posts