Things I learned on Vacation

I learned some things on vacation. Some were new insights, others just reminders of things I already new. Here they are:
If the situation arises it is possible for my family of four and a wetsuit to shower in 10 minutes or less. We had 4 dirty people, a wetsuit, and 4 quarters. At Van Damme State Park 4 quarters buys you a 10 minute shower. Much to my amazement Matt cleaned the wetsuit, we all showered and washed our hair, and I shaved my legs with a few seconds to spare.
I am blessed to be married to a wonderful supportive husband who selflessly agreed to send the boys and I out to the West Coast for 7 weeks. While he was left in Virginia for 5 of those weeks, he took care of the garden, kept the house clean (or at least cleaned it before he joined us in CA) and was very understanding when I couldn't talk to him on the phone because I was busy playing at a waterpark, bowling in Canada, on the jetski, camping, or any of the other activities I took part in. I am reminded of how much Matt loves me and wants me to be happy.
I can go 7 weeks without watching TV. I know the TV was turned on on occasion but I didn't watch any of my favorite shows, the morning news, and only a few movies, and I never turned the TV on. I'm not a TV junkie but I was really surprised when I looked back over the summer and realized I never sat down to watch TV.
My boys need a fenced in backyard. Every house we stayed at had a fenced in or naturally secluded back yard. Every morning the boys would get up and head outside in the backyard to play. Many times they were still in their jammies and didn't eat breakfast yet! It was so nice for them to have the freedom to play and explore outside in their own safe space.
I was also reminded of how blessed I am to have the family I do. Matt's mom's family, his dad's family, and my family are all very different from eachother and are all so very special to us. Matt and I are both so lucky to get along really well with our inlaws and truly be loved and accepted in each other's family.
Some other things I learned were; I miss the type of church I grew up in, my kids are California through and through even though they never lived there, it is really nice not to have traffic like we do here in VA, my family is cool enough to include my best friends in family functions, my best friends are cool enough to join me at my family's house, I CAN run 6 miles on the road - in the heat - and not pass out, and I love my VA friend-family and missed them a lot while I was gone.
And finally, the last thing I learned on this vacation was where we are moving to next when our time here in Virginia is up. Matt called me just a few days before he flew out to CA to tell me the news. We have in our hands and RFO (request for orders - or the closest thing to a promise that the Army will ever give you!) to report to Germany on or before July 31st 2009. I am so excited about what that adventure will bring to our lives and at the same time really glad that we will be here in Virginia for almost another year!

Comments

wow! germany! you guys are going to have a blast! lol you think living in dc got you a lot of houseguests visitors...:)

Popular Posts