Coming home

"Home" is one of those words that is spelled the same but has multiple meanings. Home can be my parents house in California, California in general, this building I live in now, or anywhere in between that I have once lived.
When I left Virginia for California I said "I'm going home for the summer". And when I was leaving California I referred to my status as "going home to VA". I was sad to leave my family in California, I really had an amazing summer, but I was also happy to be coming back to my life in Virginia. After a very long day of travel I walked into my house and sighed, it is good to be home.
It felt great to go through the piles of junk mail to find party invitations, school registration information, valuable coupons, and cards from friends. It was especially wonderful to come home to a new gallon of milk, oven ready meal, bread, peach cobbler and cookies left at the house by our dear friends Rachael and Ryan. The cat was snuggly, the flowers in full bloom, and the bed just as comfy as I remember!
The boys sat in their rooms for hours as old toys were new again and they found their favorite things that were missed for the past 7 weeks.
We are still adjusting to the time difference, the quietness in the house, and things being different. Eli cried and cried tonight because his "bed just didn't feel right" and he said he wanted to go back to the bed he slept in at my mom's house. The boys have slept together for the past few months, so being alone in their rooms is a little upsetting to them.
The bags are unpacked, the laundry is done as ever, the house clean, and I'm ready to return to life as usual in the morning! OK, probably not tomorrow but definitely the next day!

Comments

Popular Posts