Hands


We give a hand, take a hand, raise a hand, shake a hand, hold a hand.
I remember the first time a boy took my hand, the first time I took my babies into my hands, the last time I held my dying grandma's hand.  The hand that is usually so comforting, so tender, the hand that evokes love and compassion is suddenly the source of toxins.

My hands are raw.
They are raw from the hundreds of washings a day.
They are raw from the 99% alcohol sanitizer that I use when I am out of the house and have to touch basically anything.
They are raw from the cleaners I am using on the door handles and light switches.

My hands are burned from chemicals and overly hot water, they are dry from all the washings, and they are cracked in places where the unhealthy skin just couldn't hold anymore.

Periodically throughout the day, I remind myself to put on some lotion.  To let the moisturizer soak into my skin and work its magic.

When I find my spirit dry, cracked and burned I look around for some metaphorical lotion to soothe the pain.  I find it in reading scripture, listing to music, walking the dog, talking with friends, working on a puzzle or reading a book.  I find it in stories of community and humanity at its best.

I find it when I can take whatever I might have in reserve and share that with others.  Today, I had an overflow of encouragement and hope and was able to share that with a friend. Tonight Eli came home and told me that he was giving from his overflow of financial resources to help out a coworker.
We will find joy in our day, provide joy to others and prosper as a community when we pull from our reserve and bless others.  We can bless people with a 40% tip for coffee or take-out, we can bless people with words of hope in challenging times.  We can't touch with our hands, but we can provide that same loving, comforting, embrace with actions and words.





Comments

Popular Posts